Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Zucchini Fritters!

I, like many in the northern hemisphere this time of year, am dealing with a slight overabundance of zucchini. They're practically giving the stuff away at the farmers' markets and grocery stores (seriously! When was the last time you saw a fresh local veggie being sold for 70 cents per pound?). Zukes are a good source of potassium and vitamin c and an excellent source of fiber, so in addition to being inexpensive, they're nutritious. But really, how many stir-fries can a person eat? If you're overstocked with these delicious summer squashes, give this yummy -- and incredibly simple -- recipe a try!

Zucchini Fritters
makes 12-14 3" fritters

4-5 thin medium zukes* (see note)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg
1/4 t. cayenne pepper (optional)
1/4 t. baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Coarsely shred the zucchini. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients except oil. I used my hands and found it much easier than using a spoon or fork. Heat oil in a heavy skillet (I used coconut oil and a cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Form zucchini mixture into 3 inch patties and drop into oil. Press slightly to flatten them so the edges get extra crispy. Fry fritters for 4-5 minutes per side, turning only once during cooking. Don't be afraid to let these babies get good and mahogany-colored! You definitely want to give them a chance to get nice and crunchy on the outside. Drain on paper towels or lint-free cloths. Serve hot.

* Note: I feel your pain with the whole "what size zukes should I use" quandary. Really. These puppies vary from skinny, cornichon-like dainties to ones as big around as my arm. For the purposes of this recipe, I used 4 zukes that were about 1.5" in diameter and about 7" long. That's as close to scientific as I could get, y'all, but fortunately this recipe is very forgiving. Use your discretion in selecting zukes that aren't massively overgrown, because the freakazoid ones can be a little (or a lot) bitter. Use the enormous ones for zucchini bread, because the sugar helps hide the bitterness.

2 comments:

Radagast said...

I love zucchini, but am never sure what to do with them, so this will come in handy!

Christi Lee said...

sounds yummy!

I've been wanting to try this recipe: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/07/fried-zucchini-strings/

but I just don't have the means to easily make long stringy slices. I'd just get crumbs or pieces way too large to eat.