Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What Can You Do With... Leftover Rice?

Make "Faux-sotto": saute onions in olive oil, deglaze with white wine. Add chicken stock and leftover rice. Stir like crazy until rice looks creamy. Add anything else you like in your risotto -- peas, mushrooms, cheese, greens, herbs, crispy bacon, cream, etc. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve.

Use it as a binder or filler in meatballs, meatloaf, fish croquettes, etc.

Make rice patties: add a little flour and an egg or two, plus any shredded veg you like (onion, zucchini, carrot, sweet peppers/capsicums), salt and pepper and any seasonings you like. Fry in a bit of olive oil and serve on a salad or with soup.

Freeze it! Rice freezes beautifully, and reheats in the microwave in seconds.

2 comments:

Serena said...

When I (recently) found out that you can freeze cooked rice, I believe the heavens opened up and a chorus of angelic voices began. So awesome!

Laura said...

Oh, I know. I read it in Food and Wine magazine... Masaharu Morimoto (the Iron Chef) said he does it, and I swear to you, I got tears in my eyes.

Probably the best food tip I ever got in my life.